Beautiful, Peaceful Hospital Birth

 I had the pleasure of attending this birth as a support person.  It was a quick, yet peaceful birth.  The family did a superb job communicating their needs to all involved.  Both the hospital staff and midwife were very supportive of all that the family wanted.  Everyone present made sure that the mom had all she needed so that she could focus within and ride the currents of the birthing process.
Overall, it was an empowering experience for all involved.  Even the nurse on staff was gushing about how beautiful the birth was.  
The following is the mother’s account of how the birth unfolded.  Enjoy! 
Baby August’s Birth Story
We all (midwife including) thought baby August was going to arrive early. I was 2cm dilated at 38 weeks and baby had been pretty low for weeks. Since DH (dear husband) had to travel in the last few weeks, I cut back on working out and tried to take it easy. My sister flew in at 39 weeks and we were hoping baby would arrive while she was here so she could take care of DS (dear son) and the house (DH couldn’t take time off from work).
At my 39 wk appt on Friday, I was 3 cm dilated and had a midwife sweep my membranes. There was a 50/50 chance I’d go into labor within a few days. I had some bleeding and had already been having lots of mucuous discharge, but had since been having much more. My sister and I went for a walk to encourage contractions, but they weren’t consistent and eventually faded when I went to bed.
The next morning, we decided to take my sis to a nearby Japanese garden/museum where I could walk around. Contractions started out at 20-22 mins apart in the morning, but were very very light. I was convinced that walking the gardens would make my water break. Contractions were coming closer while walking, but I was still unsure if I was in labor. Got home, had lunch, put DS down for his nap. I tried to nap, but was too excited, so I began timing contrax around 2pm. They were 11-12 mins apart and had lengthened to 40secs. I thought maybe I was in early labor and that it could be hours before active labor. I texted my doula to give her a heads up.
Around 4-5pm, contractions were about 7 minutes apart and I began to sway/rock/squat to get through some of them. I could still talk through them and was doing light housework and preparing DS’ overnight bag for my friend. I called my midwife and told her I thought I was in early labor, but I wasn’t sure. With DS, my water broke and I had a very short active labor. This time, I wasn’t positive I was in active labor because I was expecting my water to break. I did want to get to the hospital with enough time to use my rented water tub to labor in. My friend picked DS at 6pm and I was still very cordial and happy, but needed to close my eyes and rock on the birthing ball. Once she left, my doula arrived and I decided to take a shower at 6:30ish. DH was bugging me to get going, but I was dawdling, thinking I had more time. I was snacking, making coffee, etc.
Once in the shower, I noticed contractions were coming much closer, but not terribly painful. I realized that it was time to go. I got dressed and let DH, my sis and the doula know it was time to go. It was an uncomfortable car ride, but still manageable.
We got to the hospital at 8pm, contractions every 2 minutes apart. My midwife was already there and helped me walk to the room, rubbing my back during contractions. The hospital already had our birth plan and we were greeted by the sweetest nurse. She was very respectful of my wishes and we did the 15 minutes of fetal monitoring and then they were off. I was 6cm. I sat on the birthing ball while DH massaged my back and doula massaged my shoulders and did light touch hand massage. I used Hypnobirthing and Bradley techniques and really focused inward. I was very quiet and the room was dim. I needed everything to be quiet. The water tub was being set up and the water began to fill…very very slowly.
45 minutes later, I had to go to the bathroom. Things were getting a little intense, but the tub was still filling too slowly to get in. My water broke on the toilet and I hit transition immediately. Contractions were on top of each other and I began to call out for my midwife to help me. I was hot, nauseous and a little dizzy. She told me to get into the bed during the next break. Within seconds she had the squat bar out and I was trying to get comfortable. I decided I couldn’t get comfy squatting, so I laid back and they raised the bed forward. I put my feet up on the squat bar and closed my eyes. I used my internal pushing cues and didn’t actively push at all. I just let my body push the baby out. I definitely felt the ring of fire, but I knew it wasn’t going to last long. My sister was surprised at how calm I was. Hubby was so wonderful and was rock solid. My doula had put some peppermint oil on a washcloth and everyone was fanning me. It was wonderful; I felt invigorated. Within 10 minutes, August arrived. DH cradled his head as he came out and I reached down and pulled him up. He was beautiful. 7lbs, 8 oz. He arrived a mere 1.5 hours after we got to the hospital, no IV, no heplock, no monitors.

We waited for the cord to stop pulsating and began nursing right away. Unfortunately, the tub didn’t fill fast enough for me to use it. But I was able to experience another amazing natural delivery and now I’m the proud mommy of 2 boys. 

Baby August was born at 9:34pm and was 7lbs, 8oz 19 inches

If you have a birth story you would like to share, contact me through my Facebook page;

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *